Making the titles of products commercially appealing (WAS RE: Re: disappointed)

From: Robin D. Laws <rdl_at_...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:18:59 -0600

At 08:11 PM 3/23/2003 +0000, Nick Brooke wrote:

>Mikko, my objection is that the name "Kerofinela" means absolutely *nothing*
>to old-time RuneQuesters, who might nevertheless *love* to buy a proper
>"Atlas of Dragon Pass". If we don't call it that, would they know they want
>to buy it?

For that matter, the name of any product should be readily understandable to gamers who don't know Glorantha at all, but might pick up a supplement to steal bits and pieces of it for their non-HQ games. It's always a bad commercial mistake to include made-up fantasy names in the title of any product. "Atlas of Dragon Pass" would gain some crossover traffic. "Kerofinela" would not. At the niche press level, every sale counts. And if you suck in a few dragon fans, they might become Gloranthaphiles when they see that this setting has the most freakin' cool dragons in all of gaming.

Titles should be generic as possible.

The people on this list already plan to buy the book. They don't need the sales job. Titles are about marketing. Marketing is about reaching out to new people.

Take care >>> Robin