Re: First session a success!

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 10:06:42 -0000

> have young mister tortured warrior who wants to find and liberate
> his parents (gravitating towards worshipping Finovan), we have
> the youngest daughter (eight siblings) of a well-to-do initiate
> of Issaries, who's following in daddy's footsteps, and we have
> the daughter of a strong-minded weaver whose lower-status father
> died just after her mother divorced him in a hunting accident (he
> was mauled to death by a bear: not a good sign, given he was an
> initiate of Odayla).

> Anyone with any ideas about what I could as a good first,
> baby-steps, actual adventure with these characters? I wouldn't
> mind some suggestions to help prod me on to the next stage! 8)

First suggestion: come up with a couple of NPCs of their own age, to act as mouth-pieces for you.
One who comes up with hairbrained ideas like, "let's go berry picking!" (I like this idea: I'll be borrowing it.) And one who can point out all the ways in which things can go wrong, and the likely consequences of actions, because many of them will be obvious to the characters but not to the players.

Plots? It looks to me as if you've got plot-hooks hanging off your PC background already.

Does the Issaries initiate travel to trade, or stay put? If he travels, let them go along with him on a trip. Just the standard problems of travel may well keep them amused while they get to know the characters and system. Lame mule, mule stuck in mud, bandit attack: if you're during the Occupation, the Lunars can charge a tax for using the road. Where does he travel to? Another clan, a town...? What happens when they get there?

Your young warrior who wants to improve his skills: if he heard that some great hero (by his standards) was in hiding in the hills, or visiting somewhere nearby, would he go up there hoping for training? (It works in books, why not here?)

Would these kids have an interest in hunting? A simple hunting trip to shoot some rabbits can be a challenge in itself. And maybe they meet something unusual while they're out there? They find tracks that show that the next clan along has been entering the tula? They find some of the Resistance in hiding? A bandit whose last attack went wrong and is now holed up, injured?

Take a look at the "Events" in KoDP. Quite a lot of them could be turned into clan-based scenarios. The wandering dinosaur (feed it hay) could be fun, and while it's destructive, it isn't dangerous.

What's actually wrong with sending them out after a missing sheep, anyway?