Re: More (& Moore) Books to Read

From: Peter Larsen <peterl_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:40:05 -0600

At 3:12 PM +0000 3/27/03, Mike Dawson wrote:
>Tim Powers "The Drawing of the Dark." Several crossings-over to the
>other side.
>
>Glenn Cook's Black Company series for a look at magical war.
>
>Steven Pressfield's "Gates of Fire." Historical fiction of the
>battle of Thermopylae that may serve to give insight into the
>training of the town militia in Alkoth and the ritual surrounding
>the start of battle.
>I understand his "Tides of War" is also good.
>
>Alan Moore's "Promethea" comic series for a look into the spirit world.

        If you can find a copy, Alan Moore's novel, _Voice of the Fire_, follows the city of Northampton through the ages -- in the early stories, it is often hard to follow what people are experiencing because they express themselves very differently than more modern people. If a Narrator was up to the task, this could be imported into quests -- the further "back" you go, the less intelligible the beings are -- their language and perception are simply too alien.

        I've recommended them before, but Scott Baker's _Drink the Fire from the Flames_ and _Firedance_ (written in the opposite order, but better read in reverse) have a very Gloranthan feel with some neat ideas about spirits and shaman.

Peter Larsen