Re: Glorantha style Books

From: Guy Hoyle <ghoyle1_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:41:52 -0600

I agree, this is a fine read.

(On a slightly weird note: I spent awhile tracking down the entire series, which was out of print at the time, and put off reading it until I had all 4 volumes... and lost them all before I could read it. I had to track them all down again. Same thing has happened with one of the Elric books and one of the Deryni books.)

Guy

On 3/28/2003 at 2:48 AM markmohrfield wrote:

>Poul and Karen Anderson's The King of Ys tetraology about a soldier
>from the (Roman) empire being sent as an emissary to the magical
>city of Ys, were he quickly finds himself in a Golden Bough style
>ritual that makes him king of that place. Plenty of rival religions
>interacting in it.
>
> Mark Mohrfield

Always choose the option that'll most likely blow up in your own face. You never know when a tribe of werebears is going to want to skin you alive, for instance. Those are the Munchausenesque moments you can brag about over beer for years.

Of course, sometimes you get bitten by vampires infected with bubonic plague, but on the whole, you have a great time.