Sartar vs. the Empire

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:23:17 +0300 (EEST)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, BEThexton wrote:

> > e-g_at_s... writes:
> >
> > > If there is a problem with Sartar, it's simply that the
> > > population is too small, especially considering that in the
> > > wargame WBRM/DP Prince Argrath's army is equal in size and
> > > strength to the Red Emperor's!
> >
> > My gut feeling was based on the "understanding" that the fight
> > between the Sartarites and the Empire was somehow a fair fight,
> > and that the Lunars gave me the impression that they could put
> > significantly more than 36,000 soldier into the field.
>
> I think you are forgetting that the Sartarites end up with many
> allies. There are forces from Prax, allies and mercenaries from
> Heortland (both the Heortlings and the aellians), no doubt some
> forces from Esrolia, the remaining Tarshite rebels, and then as they
> make progress new recruits from Tarsh and eventually other Lunar
> provinces.

[all toughts below from the 1600 ST, pre occupation, era]

In my mind the contest has always been anything but equal. More like a superpower vs. medium size nation. In an isolated campaign Sartar doesn't stand a chanse.

But others in Maniria can "read the writing on the wall", and have an interest in halting the advance of the Empire.

The Pharaoh of Kethaela has significant resourses and a worry for his own land's safety. Not wanting to give the Red Emperor a pretext for war he will participate by gifting weapons and wealth behind the scenes. He will also encourage the tribes of Heortland and Esrolia to fight as mercenaries for Sartar.

The Grazers, Sundome, Beastfolk and other independents are less politically aware, and will have to be courted individually. This can be done by both sides, and unfortunately this doesn't look good for Sartar.

The current High King of Dragon Pass is the king of Tarsh. This gives him divine authority and makes negotiating such deals easier. No wonder in the KoS timeline we see the mysterious dragonewts fighing on the side of the Empire.

It never looked good for Sartar. Also in the KoS timeline of 1602 everything that can go wrong, goes wrong for Sartar.

<snip>
> Sartar is surprisingly small, and not much of it suited to high
> population density. Think of it a little like Wales.
>
> --Bryan

This is the old beef. If Sartar is small, then so is the Empire. Many of us seem to have multiplied the mapscale by 4 (for miles) or 6 (for kilometers, as in the old maps).

But the population figures are there anyway. 10 million for the Empire, 200 000 for Sartar. Not an even match.

Of course the logistics are even harder than they are today. The empire _cannot_ project troops in significantly larger numbers than Sartar can. Actually, in totality it can project less. But the empire is rich, and can send a unit or two composed entirely of Elites, that are very well equipped.

I recommend reading some historical material about the Greek - Persian wars for those wanting to find out how these things historically worked.

        -Adept