RE: Sartar vs. the Empire

From: Luke Silburn <SilburnL_at_...>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:18:31 -0000

>> Sartar is surprisingly small, and not much of it suited to high

>> population density. Think of it a little like Wales.

>> --Bryan

>This is the old beef. If Sartar is small, then so is the

>Empire. Many of

>us seem to have multiplied the mapscale by 4 (for miles) or 6 (for

>kilometers, as in the old maps).

>But the population figures are there anyway. 10 million for the
Empire,

>200 000 for Sartar. Not an even match.

[Delurk]

I'm new to full-on Glorantha (dabbled a bit way back when, but never really got exposed to much beyond what was in the boxed RQ2)- so I'm feeling my way gradually in to the background via KoDP and the various cultural source books in preparation for HeroQuest's release later in the year. Currently I'm browsing through ILH-1 and Moonrites to get an initial handle on the Lunars and I have to say this map-scale thing was something that jumped out at me on my first pass. As Mikko says, the empire is small ('bout the size of France by my

reckoning) which doesn't jibe with the multiplicity of cultures and

ethnicities to my mind. Did everything used to be bigger back in the

day? Or was it that it was always that small and nobody really

thought about it much?

If you scale the maps up then really you need to scale the population figures up by the square of your multiplication factor to keep population densities the same. Going with a scaling factor of 4 gives you an Imperial census of 160 million (analogous to the Roman Empire) however now you have Sartarite population of 3.2 million and either the tribes or the clans need to get much bigger or more numerous, which implies more sophisticated political structures than a basic tribal moot...

I suspect that all this been done to death before however.

Regards

Luke

PS

I'm thinking of going along to Gen Con UK next week. I know that there's a bunch of HW games planned - any recommendations as to which ones might be best fitted to giving me a taster? As I said before I'm reading my way into the world via the sourcebooks; I don't have any of the HW rule books but I've seen the quickstart pages and I've played Pendragon a fair bit so the mechanics shouldn't be a problem for me.

PPS Any thoughts as to why I couldn't post this from my lycos email account? Yahoo! seems to think I am posting as silburnl_at_... (which doesn't match any of my nominated addresses) rather than the silburnl_at_... address that is in the 'From' field of the headers in the bounced email (and which does match a nominated address). From looking at the headers, Mailcity is the X-mailer being used by Lycos.

PPS I apologise for all the white space in this post, the yahoo! webform seems to be interpolating loads of superfluous line-feeds into my text (at least the previewing feature is).

[Relurk]