RE: Re: Appearance of Red Moon

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:29:56 +0100

Bryan writes:

> Just because the moon is all red, with a black shadow cast upon
> by an orbitting body does NOT mean that the moon does not rotate!

But when our only source for the orbiting shadow-casting body *also* tells us that the Moon does not rotate...?

I'd be *delighted* if (frex) the physical Red Moon itself (face and all) rotated on -- let's say -- a four- or seven-weekly cycle, with its phase-shadow flitting around it weekly, i.e. keeping physical rotation and phase rotation on different cycles.

I am upset by the suggestion that she does not turn, always looking in the same direction. It *feels* wrong to me.

Also, the Dark Side of the Moon has *resonance* as a concept (and a hellish heroquest destination). This "red place that's sometimes in shadow" doesn't cut the mustard, for me.

> Of course, how to explain an invisible body that casts darkness?
> What if that was but a figure of speech...

An excellent speculation! I enjoyed this bit...

> Lunar cults will probably have a more sophisticated view of things,
> but still it is probably an answer based on faith more than anything.

Except that this is based on observation of gross physical features.

Cheers, Nick