Re: Questions on Imperial Citizenship

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:12:47 -0000

Hi Patrik,

> Is Lunar and Imperial citizenship the same thing?

Yes

> Is the requirement from ILH1 for Imperial citizenship (must
worship a
> Lunar cult) the same as GIHW's "only worshippers of the Goddess or
> her associated deities are Lunars"?
>
> What does worshipper mean here? Communal worshipper or intiate?

You *can* be a Citizen while just a communal worshipper, but remember that the way it is written, becoming a citizen is not a matter of just passing a test (or making a successful roll) but proving your credentials. It would generally be expected that a Citizen was a member of the Lunar Way (ie, at least an initiate), but there are always going to be exceptions, such as the tribal chieftain in some newly-conquered region granted Citizenship to coopt  him...

> How does Lunar/Imperial citizenship connect to the class "Select"

They are the same - the information in ILH-1 essentially elaborates on that in Glorantha: Intro.

> Which leads me to also ask: Which of the various cults or aspects
of
> Sedenya is the equivalent of being an (Illuminated) initiate
of "the
> Red Goddess", per "Gods of Glorantha-definition"?

Illumination is a whole different can of worms - it will be covered in ILH-2, but for the moment you can safely ignore it.

> Lastly, I have a question about Rufelza. She is described as being
> worshipped by the "mobs of Peloria", which implies a rather large
> number of worshippers to me. Are these worshippers mainly communal
> worshippers? Are they counted among the 10 % Lunars? Or maybe they
> worship Rufelza without being Imperial Citizens?

Becoming an Imperial Citizen is a major and serious step - you need a patron, must pay a tithe, etc. Most of the mob will not take this step, even in Glamour, but they will worshop Rufelza as an initiate or communal worshipper.

You canot be a Lunar Citizen without worshipping a Lunar cult, but you can worship a Lunar cult without being a citizen. Citizenship is a political, as well as religious commitment.

Hope this helps.

All the best

Mark