RE: Orngerin Thunderscape.

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 08:33:50 +0100

David Boatright asks:

> Ricky Dawson listed Greenwing as one of the clans of the
> Aranwyth, in the Glorantha digest, could he be from that
> clan instead?

Seems fair to me. Clans can have multiple names -- we all know that!

> He also lists Eagle, Mule Deer, Old Owl , Turtle, Ulandring
> as clans of the Aranwyth anyone know where he got these names
> from?

I googled (www.google.com) for "Ulandring" (as it was the oddest word on your list), and got just two hits.

One was the list of clans Ricky Dawson produced in 1999: http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd6/1999.06/5355.html

He says he got his names as follows:

: Tribal source information comes from the 'King of Sartar' novel,
: David Dunham's ideas from Glorantha Digest, Ian Gorlicks Cinsina
: tribe, Questlines, Guy Jobbins (Kheldon Clan Info), Martin Laurie
: & Ingo Tschinke (Culbrea tribe stuff), John Hughes (Tovtaros),
: Thomas 'Wolfman' Gottschall and other Internet/Fanzine sources.
: I have compiled all of these together to try and form one 'huge'
: list of clans.

The other was this 1995 post from David Dunham to David Boatright: http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd2/1995.09/0669.html

: "my character who died in Prax was from Toena Vale, : from the Ulandring clan (my own invention).

So "Ulandring" was invented by David Dunham 8+ years ago. I didn't get any useful hits on a sample of other googlings, so I gave up looking.

FWIW, Ricky's full list was the rather unwieldy:

: ARANWYTH - Anlafi, Brown Horse, Eagle, Greenwing, Grey Fox,
: Hormondi, Kortal**, Mule (Old) Owl, Otarring & Toena (aka
: Rindeberg), Turtle, Ulandring, Wildcat & Wolf

Now, I thought Anlafi, Otarring, Hormondi and Brown Horse (from "Tales of the Aranwyth Tribe") were your own inventions... not so? That should tell you how "canonical" the rest of the list must be! :-)

Cheers, Nick