Re: Playing Trickster--other trickster gods?

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 23:51:10 +0300

Andrew Solovay wrote:

> I guess I was thinking more about problem A: How can you play a trickster,
> when they're all miserable and psychotic?

<snip>

> Of course, if you're a non-Eurmali trickster (worshipping some relatively
> tame trickster god, along the lines of Hermes or Coyote or even Loki),

Part of this, I suppose, depends on whether or not one wants to play a Trickster, or a trickster. I've played a few character* that were trickster with a small t; the kind of practical-joking and general obnoxiousness, and it should be possible with any god, IMO. Unless you're in the "if you worship a god you must behave like them" school. (Frankly, I think it's more fun, too -- who the hell suspects your Humakt of playing weird jokes?)

I'm out of my depth here, but I had the vague impression that in Glorantha, _all_ Trickster deities would be pretty miserable and chaotic. Hermes and Raven and Loki might be a bit strange since they're not "just" trickster gods (Raven has a lot of other aspects, and I've read speculation Loki might have been worshipped in different fashions, and was God-Learned by Christian codifiers of the myths). Coyote, however, _is_ a pretty miserable and psychotic type from what I understand, and anyone worshipping him is a Witch, and thus should be killed.

This said, are there _aspects_ of Trickster deities sometimes worshipped that aren't so bad? This might well be possible.

Cheers,

James