Orlanthi City Culture

From: Herbert Nowell <herb_nowell_at_...>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 15:20:05 -0400

From: "Greg Stafford" <Greg_at_...>

> >>I think this is too primitive. I think the
> >Heortling way recognizes towns
> >>as a part of their normal way of life.
> >
> >At some point, though, do they view that it goes
> >too far? I've always
> >thought that Heortlings would be uncomfortable with
> >Lunar or Western style
> >cities.
>
>Yes, absolutely. I agree with John Hughe's post. Basically, when it takes
>them too far from their clan roots and their religious roots.
>
> >Also, to what extent is city organization modeled
> >upon clan organization,
> >as opposed to a different model?
>
>Mostly different, basically because a clan cannot really run or control a
>city, and also because a city has too many foreigners (including non-clan
>members) to operate without a different system.
>Hence the professionally-organized guilds and the city council.

Hmmm...having recently gotten a copy of RQ2 I went back and read the intro and realized the first big thing to hit me about Glorantha was the Lightbringers Myth and decided I wanted it to play a more promient role IMG.

My idea was that more city oriented Orlanthi will begin to change culturally and religiously to a Lightbringer pantheon/culture with the Lightbringers becoming paragons of the city professions/classes. Flesh Man would come to present the working class, Eurmal entertainers...not sure about Ginna Jar, but then again she recieves no worship anyway. Eurmal might also speak for foreigners. The various guilds would be logical subcults of the Lightbringers and the Tribal ring would evolve into the City Council.

That's about as far as I've gotten, beyond placing such a culture in the trade routes of Caladraland.