Re: Question(s)

From: Gerald Bosch <gbosch_at_...>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 13:57:13 -0400

Guy Hoyle wrote:

> If you were new to Glorantha, and wanted to start a campaign for
> people who have had no exposure to Glorantha, but had access to all
> published Gloranthan settings (official or unofficial),
>
> 1) Which one, if any, would you choose?
> 2) If you chose NOT to go with a previously-established Gloranthan
> setting, which non-published area would you go with?
>
> Please explain your reasoning. (As if I had to say that!)&#92;
>
> Personally, I'd choose either the Pavis/Big Rubble books, or Griffin
> Mountain. Pavis/Big Rubble because there's a lot of material
> available, and it's not too dissimilar from other FRPGs in many ways,
> and it's a good intro to Gloranthan weirdness. Griffin Mountain
> because hey, anybody knows how to play a primitive hunter, and it's
> also a good intro to Glorantha, and the format makes it adaptable for
> almost any level of gamemaster.
>
> Guy "D5X" Hoyle.

I tend to agree about those two settings, but one important factor to consider is whether you want to move on to the HQ products eventually.  After all, the "feel" of Glorantha and the adventuring supplements has changed alot since RQ II. I think the existing stuff gives alot of raw material, but the narrator needs to adjust some things to update these supplements.

I think if you wanted to go into a less well-published area, you could do worse than Fronela. There are alot of items there that would seem familiar to players of standard FRPG worlds (knights, semi-feudalism, "Barbarians", a "Decadent Empire", "chaotic evil (tm)" warriors from the Kingdom of War, etc...)

Gerald Bosch