Re: Re: Sarotar Keep & Road of Sartar

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 00:15:15 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Ian Cooper wrote:

> Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> > I don't think I've ever seen a description of this Sartar fort. My
> lady Suvi suggested that the Scottish Brochs would could be what I'm
> looking for.<
>
> We'll see what happens to the ideas but my suggestion for Sartarite
> architecture for a draft of the the DP Gazetter was something along
> the lines of:
>
> - Hill Forts: Celtic hill forts like Danebury or the Gallic oppiddae.
> - Towers (as built by the royal house): Without dwarf masons, brochs.
> While the house still had dwarf masons cemented stone blocks a la New
> Pavis walls and towers.
> - Sartar's Cities (excluding Boldhome): With dwarf masons, walls and
> towers like new Pavis; interior buildings like those of York or
> Hedeby.

Marvelous. While we are on the subject. The roads of Sartar.

My vision is that the roads are built on a raised earth bed, so they overlook the landscape a bit (not all that high, just so that the travellers are that much safer from ambush).

The paving stones are cubes of hard stone, about a foot to a side. As the winter freezes the bed of the road these stones of course move and the road becomes less even, but the magic of Sartar (worship of the flame) keeps the roads enchanted, and the roadblocks move slowly (too slow to see) and re-align themselves.

Having the road slightly raised helps the winds keep them clear of snow, and the enchantment keeps the road slightly warmer than it would naturally be, so for much of the early winter and early in the spring the road stays ice-free.

Of course the roads are slightly sloped away from the center, so that rain doesn't pool on them.

  ***

Then of course the empire comes and the torch is put out. No more worship of Sartar, and the walls and the roads start to decay...

        -Adept