Re: Misapplied Worship

From: Thom Baguley <t.s.baguley_at_...>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 11:09:04 +0000

> From: "Phil Hibbs" <phil_at_...>
><rant>
>I think the whole "misapplied worship" thing is over-rated. Aeol proves that
>Orlanth is just a man with storm powers. Was he wrong, and therefore
>practicing misapplied worship? Or are all other Orlanthi wrong? If Aeol is
>"objectively wrong", then what's the point of an identity challenge? What's
>the penalty for being wrong, in the narrator's pre-determined decision? Is
>"proving" something through HQ just self-delusion? I hope Greg comes to his
>senses, and that we hear the words "Gee, Misapplied Worship, what was I
>thinking about?" <raises back of hand to forehead> pass his lips. Gloranthan
>entities, I say to you - defy! =>:-O
></rant>
>
>Then again, I may be misinterpreting it, and reacting against a perceived
>misinterpretation. I'm open to reason.

Two things.

  1. Misapplied worship at the worshipper level makes sense. A worshipper brought up in the animist tradition is going to have problems with the theist mind-set etc.
  2. Misapplied worship as a division between Godplane, Spiritplane and Sorceryplan entities is more problematic. However, I can live with it provided there are sufficient loopholes (in particular Underworld deities). I already subscribe to the notion that the Heroplane intersects the fringes of all three other planes.

Thom