RE: Re: Where in Glorantha

From: Nick Brooke <Nick_at_...>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 05:50:29 +0100

Philippe wrote this:
> These people strangely clothed, with the moon on them, who
> told you they were real people? I mean, do they have horns
> on their heads, like us? Do they have fur on their bodies? No!

and reminded me of this traveller's tale by my nearest Gloranthan namesake, from the RuneQuest Compendium:

: A story or parable told in 1447 by Nikibrik the Fool:
: "There is a great fortress far to the north amid the
: wastes of Hykim and Valind; a giant valley with a humid,
: warm climate. Trees grow in profusion there, and
: flowering plants sprout amidst pleasant, warmly-watered
: meadows. All around this wondrous haven tower the cliffs
: of the glaciers, and they have brooded there since
: Valind first howled out of the north. But the ice demons
: never invade the valley. The beetling mountains of ice
: and their howling winds form merely an appealing contrast
: to the perfection of the valley. The inhabitants of this
: paradise live without want, hunger, or pain, spending
: their lives in ceaseless wonder and joy. But all these
: happy inhabitants are broos."

Food for thought?

Cheers, Nick