Re: Re: Taraltaran Mystics: GD vs HQ

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 20:38:41 GMT

In message <20030522175423.9623.qmail_at_...> ALISON PLACE writes:

> Absolutely. And I'm sure that all poor Morgan
>expected was to spark a bunch of varying suggestions
>for putting a mystic into play, as per the rules.

I did feel the responses were rather unhelpful, immediately referring to something which hasn't yet been published and then going off into an explanation about why the change has been made very much gave the impression of a group of insiders - just what this list is supposed to avoid.

> The remaining dichotomy is that it seems HQ-only
>players are perforce expected to follow some of the
>most interesting threads over to the Digest, as soon
>as these attract the attention of the older players
>who can quote the Gloranthan arcana. This is a little
>rough on them, since with the best will in the world,
>a lot of this stuff is not going to come their way.
>Heck, having passed them up (or never knowing that
>they existed) I don't get many of the references
>myself.

I think the point is that the older players should be writing for the two lists differently. If they want to make obscure references, debate the meaning of mysticism, Mostali work patterns or whatever then they should post to the Digest. Here the discussions need to stick to things which relate directly to the game and currently published works to introduce people to Glorantha in manageable chunks. Certainly at some point many newcomers are going to want the more in depth coverage of the Digest but by that time they will have realised that none of it is required for understanding or playing in Glorantha.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/