Re: Harvest Info - new direction

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 23:02:55 +0100 (BST)

> Climate-wise, I think Sartar is closer to Britain
> than Italy; but
> maybe they practice transhumance in Heortland.

> Milking the herds would sometimes be done up on the
> high pasture, and
> the milk turned into cheese or butter up at the
> shielings.
>
> Bear in mind that in Sartar, a high pasture might be
> in sight of the
> stead, but half a day's walk away, up on the
> mountainside.

For some really light-weight (but probably accurate) reading on the way things were done in the Alps, try "Heidi". Well, I enjoyed it as a small child, anyway. You'd better substitute sheep for the goats, though :)

ftp://sailor.gutenberg.org/pub/gutenberg/etext98/heidi11.txt

It's Samaritans' Week. Help Samaritans help others. Call 08709 000032 to give or donate online now at http://www.samaritans.org/support/donations.shtm