Flax

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 07:43:31 +0100 (BST)

> I cannot recall a single mention of one VERY
> important pre-industrial crop as a
> regular part of any culture: Flax.
>
> does anyone know who or where it's grown? In
> Glorantha that is.

It's listed as one of the plants grown in Sun County. "Other crops include vegetables and common plants like flax, tomatos and herbs". That doesn't sound like a major export, though. Barley is their main crop.

> In the same vein, how about cotton? Yes, it was hard
> to spin because the fibers
> weren't as long as wool, but Egypt grew it from
> pretty early on.

You'd need a hot climate. I've never heard any mention of it, either, though. Esrolia, perhaps?

But then again, maybe Glorantha has another cloth-producing plant entirely? As John was saying, these analogues are useful, but they're not the full story. (I was talking about nettles a few messages back, wasn't I? You did know that nettle fibre makes quite a nice linen?)

Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html