Re: Tenatcles 2003 Convention Review

From: Tradetalk_at_...
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:38:57 +0200

Hi Friends

Rick wrote:
I've just returned from Bacharach and wanted to say thank you to all of the convention organisers, especially Fabian, for running, once again, a fantastic convention. There are so many wonderful events to participate in that it's hard to mention them all, especially when so many superlatives would need to be used.

Yes, it was really great fun to make such a con again and for me - as I'm on this conventions for 11 years now - it was one of the best of all.

The other two main freeforms took place on Sunday. I can't say much about the German language Cthulhu freeform, other than it looked enjoyable from a distance. The other freeform, Space Station Zanzibar is a game I now regret not playing in. Over 7 or 8 hours, all manner of science fiction heroes gathered on a space station to hatch out the future of their universe. Fabian, as Darth Vader looked most impressive with his four red cloaked body guards. Jabba the Hut and his massive costume was a sight to see as well.

Yes, it was really great to play in this freeform as Gran Moff Tarkin, the leader of the Death Star and right hand to Darth Vader. We have been very evil, together we blow up four planets (and the whole galaxy - but this was my fault alone) and enslaved the ewoks of endor to build up a new stromtrooper army. But in the end the whole empire became borg, to rescue the empire to our friends - the borg. Really funny.

One panel that I do specifically want to mention is the Independent Gloranthan Publishers Panel. We added something new this year by handing out "Outstanding Contribution" awards to the artists and authors who have helped us get so many great products out over the years. Seven were honored: Shannon Applecline, Nick Brooke, Dario Corallo, John Hughes, Peter Metcalfe, Jamie Trotsky Revell, and Ian Thompson. We hope to make such awards a more regular event, and were glad so many were at our panel to help us thank them for all of their help over the years.

Yes, thanks to all of them - they gave us, together with all our others contributers, the chance to produce such good material as we have made in the past. For me it was a great pleasure to present on Tentacles our new fundraiser Ye Booke of Tentacles # 4 and as well also Ye Booke of Tenatcles # 5. All of these are meanwhile send to the subscribers (mostly # 4, because # 5 wasn't ordered much now). Take a look at www.Tradetalk.de

The venue continues to be superb. Not only do you have a 17th century castle overlooking the majestic Rhine, it has been modernized to a comfortable and efficient standard.

The Castle was build 1120, not in the 17th century and it is a youthhostel since 1926 and the tower was made in it modern standard in 1956.

All in all it was for me as meeting a long missed family and it was in fact a fine family atmosphere every year. So if you want to be at Tentacles in 2004 you shouldn't miss it.

Cheers

Ingo