Re: Re: Invasion of Sartar 1591

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:21:21 +0300 (EEST)

<snip>
> > I don't seem to pick up a reference in the text... too tired
> perhaps?
>
> Basically: If Argrath was born in 1588, he would have been three in
> 1591, the year his father was reported slain by Lunars.

Ah, I was definitely too tired last night. I see your point. Unfortunately there seems to be nothing told about the strength and success of this earlier invasion.

> > What I'm thinking, is that the the whole idea of the 1591 abortive
> > invasion has been scrapped at some point.
>
> The distinction between a great raid and a conquest is mostly the
> outcome, both are invasions. We know that Terasarin fought during
> most of his reign. It is fairly likely that Terasarin spoiled a
> couple of less powerful attempts at a conquest - if only of the
> formerly Tarshite lands of the Far Point. The Lunar magicians used in
> these conflicts probably were Tarshites, out of Moirades' and
> Fazzur's brother's school. Large scale imperial involvement is not
> hinted at in KoS.

That's a sensible take on it. I'll propably run with that since there really doesn't seem to be any contradicting evidence.

It can't have been a very _lunar_ invasion, no matter what the Sartarites say. The Redline History doesn't even make a note of it. The only event in 1591 is the beginning of the "thaw" in Fronela.

So propably we are talking of a Tarshite invasion, with a token lunar presense. Tarsh is a major power in the region, and quite capable of such a military venture, of course.

Yes, this looks quite sensible so far.

        -Adept