Re: Re: Invasion of Sartar 1591

From: Mikko Rintasaari <mikrin_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:40:41 +0300 (EEST)

<snip>
> > It can't have been a very _lunar_ invasion, no matter what the
> > Sartarites say.
> > So propably we are talking of a Tarshite invasion, with a token
> lunar
> > presense. Tarsh is a major power in the region, and quite capable of
> > such a military venture, of course.
>
> It would probably be a "lunar" invasion in that I'm sure it would have
> had to have had the blessing of the Lunar provincial governor.

Tarsh seems prone to taking quite a few liberties do to it's status as the major power in the region. Would the local governor dare not to give his/her blessing? What I meant was that there doesn't seem to have been any significant commitment of lunar heartland troops involved.

> Possibly there would have even been some forces from other provinces,
> who would no doubt have seemed diverse and exotic enough to the
> Sartarites to be "those strange lunar foreigners."

That's true. Provincial army stuff.

> Do we know who the lunar provincial governor was at the time? If
> not, it would be tempting to place someone ambitious but not overly
> well connected, who through the dice on a glorious conquest, even
> knowing his forces weren't overwhelming.
>
> --Bryan

This is where I'm leaning also. The end result being something like.

"And in 1591 the pretender King of Tarsh raided us with ten thousand men..."

The 10 000 being my maximum estimate for this abortive invasion. Sartar spies and auguries propably noted the military buildup, and the Prince was able to muster and equal or superior force. The Tarsh army propably withdrew after a few tentative engagements. No sense attacking without surprise or overwhelming force.

        -Adept