Tamga marks (was Re: Tibetan for Auld Wyrmish)

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:23:24 -0000

Mikko wrote:

> It's neat too. I doubt the Pent nomads have much use for writing,
but
> there's that sorcerous community somewhere in the wastes these...

'Tamga' (or 'tamaga') brandmarks and carvings were quite common amongst the steppe-peoples we might use as Pentan analogues (be they Sarmatian, Alannic, Avari etc. etc.). They're quite interesting runic symbols; often thought to be imbued with mystical power, they were generally used as marks of ownership and proto-heraldic symbols. In our modern world, many Tibetan and Mongolian letters are also used as tamagas.