Re: HeroQuest to ship August 15

From: Viktor Haag <vhaag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:29:46 -0400

Jeff writes:

> That's the date that was reported to Warehouse 23. We're not
> involved in the setting of the SJ Games/Issaries release
> schedule, so I am not aware of the circumstances surrounding
> the change. We are still trying to determine how this will
> affect the release date of the Limited Edition Hardcover.

I suspect, but have no firm evidence to think so, that the HQ hardback was printed entirely separately from the softcover (although perhaps at the same printer). They most certainly used a different paper stock, for example, so in that case it would get run as a completely separate job. (Of course it could also be that they're using the same paper stock, and just altering the binding, in which case perhaps all the printing of pages has been done and the delay is at the bindery?)

Also, given what I know about printer scheduling, it's much easier for printers to schedule in low volume print runs (like the hardback), for the same reason that small files are easier to save into a fragmented file system.

It's entirely possible that the hardback print run has already happened, and the scheduling problems arose around the softcover run. I don't know how many copies of the softcover would have been run, but I would suspect at least ten times as many.

If SJG uses a printer that gets a significant amount of business from the gaming industry, then you can well imagine that this time of year (i.e. right before Gencon) probably turns into a complete zoo for their scheduling...

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+