Re: Re: sea spirits or sea gods ?

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:24:56 +0200

ttrotsky2 spoke from the Deep :

[Sea Gods or Spirits ?]
> I believe, strictly speaking, they are defiant entities rather like
> Storm Bull, effectively being both gods and great spirits at the same
> time. That's what they get for being so fluid :)

That's the way I see it also.

> A more useful question perhaps, is whether the ludoch and their ilk
> use theist or animist magic.

Yes, indeed. That's what I wanted to ask.

> Chances are, like trolls, some do one and
> some the other. I'd guess blue elves are similar to other Aldryami,
> having 'Murthdrya Tradition' as their default and mostly being
> animists.

Aldraymi are animists ? Good to know.

> As for the others, in the absence of definitive HQ
> information, I'd go back to RuneQuest and see what that said. Magasta,
> Triolina and Wachaza are all clearly gods back in RQ (i.e. they have
> no shamans in their cults).

I suppose I'll then base Triolina on the Esrola Animal Mothers cults in Storm Tribe. It could have been more like Telmor or other animal spirits.

> Further, ludoch are described as using
> divine magic, which we would now call Theist. Malasps could be either
> priests or shamans, and so presumably have both Theists and Animists
> in roughly equal numbers, just like trolls.

That's an interesting way to use old sources. Sort of an archeological research :)

> The truth may be more complicated, but that's where I'd start.

It is certainly more complicated (and Julian gives me more reason, elsewhere, to believe so), but I'm mostly interested in answers concerning specifically Ludoch of the Mirrorsea and not 'general truth', so wide as to be meaningless.
I'll follow your advice and make'em use both animist or theist magics.

Now, if anyone has ideas about affinities for Magasta or Wachaza... Ocean, Surface, Deep, Shallow, Currents, King of the Seas, Death, Combat...

Thanks,

        Philippe