Re: mixed worship in Umathela

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:12:28 -0800

Peter wrote of Safelster

> However it is published as a society where people worship both
> gods and the Invisible God (cf the descriptions of both Henotheism
> and Stygianism on page 53 of the Glorantha: Intro). That makes
> it a society which Misapplied worship is at the very least "heavily"
> used and it was in discussing the Safelstrans that Greg first started
> talking about misapplied worship.

I often wonder if they actually venerate gods, or simply sacrifice to them. I seem to recall that this practice was popular until the Return to Rightness movement.

> There are also the Malkioni of Umathela of whom the majority also
> worship pagan gods.

I'm not sure I agree with "majority," but it's certainly common. From my notes:

"Many folks acknowledge the Invisible God but also worship gods from Fonrit such as Ernamorla the Millet Goddess, northern gods such as Issaries, or the Umathelan Lightbringers."

David Dunham <mailto:dunham_at_...>
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html> Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein