Re: 'elf' attitudes

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:17:13 -0700

Bryan

> How do the `elves' of Glorantha view this sort of thing? Are they
> always opposed to destruction of plants and trees? Or do they
> consider that certain cycles are a healthy thing? Or would this
> actually be viewed as a class war thing, where `tree elves' would
> oppose forest fires, but `bush elves' would welcome it as giving them
> new living space?

We know (see Missing Lands) that some elves are untroubled by humans living in the forest and practicing agriculture. (IMO the Umathelan storm barbarians practice slash & burn agriculture, since this seems the best suited to forest life, and seems to fit their population densities).

I think aldryami, being longer-lived than humans, would tend to take the long view of things. They would be well aware of cycles.

There might well be dissension, however, and it could easily be on "class" lines. (Though I thought trees often survive fires, while it's the smaller stuff that burns off.)

--

David Dunham
Glorantha/HW/RQ page: <http://www.pensee.com/dunham/glorantha.html>