Re: Digest Number 1393

From: Craig Neumeier <CJNeum_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:31:47 -0700

> From: "Tim Huntley" <tim_at_...>
>Subject: New Gloranthan...
>
>Hello.
>
>I'm a relatively new Gloranthan, and I just joined the list. I was exposed
>to Glorantha many years ago via the RQ3 boxed set, but didn't pay much
>attention to it until I heard all the hype surrounding the HeroQuest game
>and the publishing agreement with SJ Games. So, I purchased HeroQuest last
>night.
>
>My question is this - for someone who is a relative HeroQuest/Glorantha
>n00b, the HeroQuest book seems to throw out a lot of Gloranthan references
>very early on via sidebars and such. Is HeroQuest self contained enough
>that after a thorough read I'll be up to speed with the state of the world?
>Or should I temporarily shelf HQ and go read over some of the earlier
>HeroWars stuff?

Well, I was almost entirely new to Glorantha when I bought the Hero Wars box, so I think I know where you're coming from. And the answer is: HQ gives you the very broad outlines, and then throws out a huge number of references that you won't understand. You will not feel that you're up to speed on the state of the world after reading it. But that doesn't matter as much as you think, because the world is too large & various for anyone to be up to speed on the whole thing... even if the information had been published, which (in most cases) it has not.

For an actual game, you're going to have to make up a lot of stuff, and the HQ book gives you a good jumping-off point. If you are interested in Glorantha for its own sake, the HW book "Glorantha: Introduction to the Hero Wars" will interest you -- but it's still an outline, more detailed but still a jumping-off point for making up stuff. Really, you're probably better off just inventing material as you need it. Then, when inspiration flags, ask this list to be pointed at existing sources or (at least as often) for non-canonical suggestiions.

The HW published material has a lot of detail if you want to run Heortlings from Sartar; rather less for anywhere else. Lokornos.com will give you some idea how much there is beyond the currently published works, on lots of different areas of the world. But the mass of material is too much to assimilate all at once: have mercy on your players, as well as yourself, and introduce it over the course of play instead of trying to make everything clear at the beginning.

> From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
>Subject: Well, what's it like then ?
>
>Won't have it by next week at the earliest, so what's it actually like ?

[* with a nearly-crippling disadvantage that isn't justified in game balance terms, AFAICT. That was my major rules niggle after a once-over.]

Craig Neumeier, LHN

Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige using MSN Messenger http://entertainment.msn.com/imastar