Re: Bibliography

From: BEThexton <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 16:54:11 -0000

Modern Novels:

Michael Scott Rohan
Chase the Morning, The Gates of Noon, and Cloud Castles (a trilogy) - The novels are occasionally flawed, but include possibly the coolest "heroquests" and heroforming that I've ever read.

Patricia A. McKillip
The Book of Atrix Wolfe
- All of her books are worth reading for the beauty of the writing, but this one in particular shows the limitations and dangers of magic when it comes to dealing with immortal realms.

Barry Hughart
The chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox: The Bridge of Birds, Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen - The backround to these "historical" mysteries is a perfect blend of history, folklore, and magic. Especially relevant to campaigns in the more civilized parts of Glorantha, but the feel applies to all of it.

Arthur Ransome
Old Peter's Russian Tales
Probably hard to find now, but a great selection of re-told russian folk tales, most of which I've not seen elsewhere. Different flavor than the Brother's Grimm, great source of magical plots and powers that aren't familiar.