Music for/in HeroQuest

From: Stewart Stansfield <stu_stansfield_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:34:51 +0100

Lots of fun thoughts on the HQ 'bibliography'. Books, narrative and film are all great for providing inspiration prior to and for games, but what about thumping tunes during a game? How do people use music in games: not at all, purely as background, as a rousing overture or interlude, or an integral part of the game?

[Film scores and orchestral or choral works can be used to good effect in the latter regard, but paced and structured for their own purpose, not your game; can be a touch tricky!]

I've a real soft spot for music of all forms, and try to incorporate it as much as possible in my games. When people create characters for me in the future I'll always ask if they want to decide on a 'leitmotif', a snatch of music that is their 'theme' and helps envision their character - used to good effect in works from Wagner to 'Once Upon a Time in the West'.
'Playing' your character's leitmotif in a dramatically appropriate scene is
a sure way to get an augment!Anything can pass, from the obligatory John Williams quotations (!) to Iron Maiden.
Er...

When it comes to musical scenery or props, it's pretty common to steer into ambient, film-score, period, choral or orchestral music. What do people plumb for, or recommend? Here are a few select picks that take my particular fancy:

'FILM SCORE'

Always fun, and typically tailored to sequences and plot developments that occur on a pace analogous to a game, as opposed to written for a concert hall. I tend to like epic stilton here, and thus I've got to start with Basil Pouledouris' masterful CONAN score! Got to be careful I don't go off cleaving people in twain just thinking about it... For some reason (!) I've picked up several copies, and flood my mates' collections with it, so they have no excuse but to indulge/endure.

Other picks include Mario Nascimbene's evocative 'Ragnar's Return' from THE VIKINGS (great music to receive heroes coming back from a cattle raid) to the
(IMHO) musical master, Miklos Rozsa. Miklos' scores for EL CID (the Andalusian influences provide an interesting extra colour which may sparkle up your Western paradigms), BEN HUR, GV OF SINBAD, QUO VADIS, SODOM & GOMORRAH etc. And then of course there are other greats like Morricone*, North, Korngold, Williams, Goldsmith, Herrmann, Newman etc. etc. And not one mention to GLADIATOR yet! :o)

*Though I'd hold off using NAVAJO JOE to describe anything...

'CLASSICAL'

Tops for me has to be the Finnish 'classical' repertoire. Mythically, the Kalevala and Kanteletar are for me some of the most inspiring sources out there; tie this to evocative, elemental music and there's a sure-fire HQ winner! Beyond SIBELIUS' famous works (Tapiola, En Saga, the Leminkainen Suite, Pohjola's Daughter, Luonnatar, Finlandia, Oceanides, Kullervo etc.) there are a wealth of other pieces by less well-known composers, like:

Armas Jarnefelt, Robert Kajanus, Uuno Klami, Toivo Kuula, Erkki Melartin, Aare Merikanto, Aulis Sallinen etc. (please forgive lack of accents!)

Einojuhani RAUTAVAARA is my favourite composer beyond Sibelius. His instrumental works vary in style and substance, and range nature-inspiredly atmospheric ('Cantus Arcticus') to the more ethereal and otherworldly ('Isle of Bliss'; the 'Angels' series).

I'm sure the Finns on this list may have more info, or check out: http://www.fimic.fi/fimic/fimic.nsf?open

Running through Amazon the names of any of these composers will hopefully get you snippets, and many CD shops gladly have try-before-buy sections now.

'MEDIEVAL'

I don't go in fully for folk or period music, but there are a couple of artists that I think are great for HQ:

http://www.sequentia.org/index.htm
SEQUENTIA have recorded tales from the Icelandic Edda and lots of Hildegard von Bingen. The musical Edda is itself superb, and IMHO perfect music for scenes set in an Orlanthi chieftain's hall.

http://www.sabbatum.com/
Medieval adaptations of Black Sabbath songs from RONDELLUS, sung in Latin...

no don't squirm, it actually sounds superb!

Any others?

Cheerio,

Stu (saving the post on mead-horn swinging Viking Metal 'til later...)