ScotsCon - The view from the registration desk

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 22:31:34 +0100

Hi All,

Claire and I have just about recovered from last weekend. I was surprised how much I enjoyed myself - didn't have time to take part in much, but I did get to talk to pretty much everyone, and see what was going on. The con attendance was quite low (final count of 54) but we seemed to mainly lose the "sit in a bar, wait to be entertained" types, and the talks and events were just as busy as any other con I've ever seen. The enthusiasm of everyone who came was great to see, and really made all our hard work feel worthwhile. A con is really made by the people who attend, so thank you to everyone who came and made this one a success. Particular highlights for me included :

Running Camp David. A very smooth game to run, and the players had me laughing for most of the time. Thanks to Donald for bringing it, and everyone involved in writing. If you get a chance to play this at a future con, do so.

The Grouse. This was my little baby, and I didn't know whether it would work or not. The idea was that each volunteer had five minutes to convince the audience that their pet theory was true. Didn't need to be Gloranthan (though many of them were). The quality of speakers was very high and the audience got passionate. I can see this being stolen for future cons - as well as John Hughes virtual plans.

Gaming. Didn't get to do much of this myself, though I did get to sit in on a couple of pick up games with the MIB. (Their Munchkin Broo was very cool, as is the new Strange Synergy game. Very glad to have them along.) But listening in on other people's games, especially Evil High Priest and Bad Boon Rising was entertaining. The sounds of Baboons and Ducks drifting round the building was also a source of amusement for the bar staff...

Claire's Highlights : Running Evil High Priest, and the Icebreaker. The treasure hunt was Claire's idea, and she did most of the organising. People certainly got enthusiastic about it, and there are a few photos drifting around that certain people may wish never to be seen in public.

The con for me only finished on Wednesday when the last house guest left. Seeing so many friends was wonderful, as was meeting people I only knew by e-mail before. We've also done some real good, with a number of locals now more convinced about Glorantha than before, and we're setting up a local gloranthaphile pub night. (First one will be Wednesday 24th, in the Holyrood Tavern if you're around Edinburgh.)

Since then, we've been catching up on all the real work that didn't get done last week, and posting out the Western Mythic Maps (on their way to you now!). Next project is a holiday, then finish the fundraiser - still waiting on some art, and layout. After that, I dunno. Maybe I'll dig out that flanger pedal I saw the other day, and lay down some fat bass lines for Argrath the Musical. But I doubt it...

Cheers,
Graham (and Claire)