Re: DeathQuest

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 11:09:41 +0100

Julian:

>I think it would have been more useful to emphasise
>certain basic RPG facts : if you don't personally ensure
>that the Evil Bad Guy is DEAD, then the GM is perfectly
>entitled to have him crawl off, heal up, survive and return
>in many scenarios to come.

I'm not so sure that's a 'basic RPG fact' - but, at any rate, I think it is made pretty clear by the suggested rule (p. 181) that, if you kill a major baddy in some situation where his permanent death isn't blindingly obvious, then the PCs may have to spend a hero point to ensure he stays dead...

Tim Ellis:

>> Take a look at p181 -- essentially, the advice to narrators is that
>> unnamed mooks and extras can be dispatched easily enough if the
>> heroes want to kill them.
>

>After all, killing unnamed mooks & extras who have "given up" (AP's
>reduced to 0 or less) is the sort of task no self respecting (or at
>least bloodthirsty) PC should fail at (no roll required)

I think the suggestion is rather that, when you're fighting mooks, you shouldn't be using the extended resolution system anyway, so APs aren't relevant. You succeed in your simple contest, and if you were trying to kill the mook, then he's dead. Of course, frequently with mooks, you won't honestly care whether he's dead or not, so long as he's out of the way. But, yeah, if he's a broo and you're well, almost anyone really, but certainly if you're an Uroxi, then you want that broo-mook dead dead dead! :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic