Re: Afterlife for mixed religions?

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:56:26 -0400

Kevin McD asked:

>>Is this true of pretty much all religions
>>that mix Wizardry and Theism?
>>

>Peter M. answered:
>The only other example I'm aware of is the Aeolians where they all go
>to Solace after spending time in the peaceful passage.

My impression is that the Aeolian faith is not a mixed religion (where one faith has worshipers that properly apply different magic systems) but rather practice misapplied worship - wizardry practitioners venerating theist entities. Therefore, the afterlife situation for them should be *relatively* straight forward. I am more interested in the former situation. The Carmanians are one example, and perhaps the henotheists of Ralios. It may be that no such religion actually exists - each mixed religion is actually a set of separate religions that share a core set of beliefs. I must admit that I am not entirely comfortable with this idea, but it does resolve the problem.

>>What happens to lay worshipers who don't
>>concentrate their magic? Where do *they* go when they die?
>>

>It depends on their religion. For Carmanians, lay worshippers are
>considered theists and go the same place as other theists.

 From this it sounds like a Carmanian priest would tell his flock that when they die they go to the realm of the Good Gods, who are the helpers of Idovanus, but that the viziers who practice wizardry get to actually be with Idovanus in Paradise after death. In a way this sounds a bit like the real-world Cathars, who believed that you reincarnate eternally until you are worthy to be reborn as a Perfect. My thought is that the Lunar Carmanians would believe something like that, but they might instead believe, like the Cerisians, that one reincarnates forever. Perfection is living within the Cycles.

Another idea for the traditional Carmanians, lifted from Zoroastrianism, might be that the theist dead go to the God World (considered a kind of purgatory) and await the Final Battle when the dead will return to fight the forces of Ganesatarus. After the Final Battle is won, everyone will go to Solace - gods included. If this is true, then I bet that the Carmanians were pretty wigged out when the Battle of Castle Blue began...

Oh, well... its food for thought. Thanks for the info.

~Kevin McD