Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:55:32 +0000

>And, incidentally, they'd be a LOT harder than
>anything for initiates. Yes, a prospective Humakt
>devotee may well find themselves in a position where
>they have to choose between their honour and killing
>their best friend. But there wouldn't be anything fake
>about it. No "just kill a thrall instead" get-outs.
>Real friend, relative, whatever. Really dead. Quite
>possibly by your own sword. Humakt doesn't do "soft".

The point of get-outs is they allow you to do much WORSE things (and they shouldn't be apparent until AFTER the event). ("The God has been merciful. This time the one you slew was only a thrall.")

The important thing to Humakt is that a would-be devotee has to be prepared to bring Death where it is needed - and NOT to abuse his power by killing willy-nilly.

If you want to make your Humakti really grim, that's up to you - but I wouldn't want to rule out a fight to the death between player characters as part of a test OR to actually kill a player character just for a Devotion test (at least not without a way out - for Humakti it is possible that they have to "die" something like the way Odin sacrificed himself to achieve Devotion.)

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.