Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:28:48 +0000

>It's never come up in our games (the closest was my Lhankor Mhy sword
>sage, who was working on the requirements to pass the tests). But I'd
>think that a key thing to determine is whether the character is being
>called by the deity, or voluntarily deciding to become a religious
>fanatic.

...Or both. The point of the tests is to eliminate those who don't fit or aren't ready.

>I think in most cases there wouldn't be tests conducted by the cult.
>After all, many clans or even tribes won't have someone who is
>devoted to the "smaller" deities (or subcults). Thus, who would be
>qualified to give a test?

That seems to be a rather Heortling-centred view. And even then I don't see why travelling to find a teacher or a centre of worship should be out of the question. I'd expect it for Lhankor Mhy, say.

Sometimes there are ways around that (maybe even for cults like Buserian). It might even be the usual way for some Gods. I can imagine Gods like Yinkin or Odayla coming to a lone hunter out in the wilds.

I'd say that it depends on the God and on the circumstances - devoting with the help of a Temple or a teacher is probably most convenient (in that the timing is controlled). Doing so without one is possible, but is likely to require special circumstances (for Humakt it might require coming close to death, perhaps a serious illness - a fever with "hallucinations" that are a contact with the God and a medium for tests perhaps ? or recovering from a near-mortal wound)

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.