Re: Re: New devotees, starting feats

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 23:20:00 +0000 (GMT)

> So basically you are relying on appropriate
> circumstances turning up ?
> I suppose that a Gloranthan universe might oblige
> but it's something
> that makes me a little uneasy.

I'm relying on either a Narrator giving Humakt a hand in setting things up, or as in the one case I know of of this test being used, the player writing it into their backstory. That's what I did for my current character. And yes, it took a bit of setting up. Combination of a Lottery Sword, a curse on it that she *still* doesn't know about, and a geas about always accepting duels. She had to kill about half a dozen of her closest friends over a season or so, ending with her prize pupil, and it was then a toss-up between suicide by sword, suicide by alcohol, or long-term suicide by going Devotee. I'm still trying to sort out the rest of the testing process and general promotion quests, but that was a defining bit of back-story for her.

It won't happen often, at least to PCs. But as a defining level of roughly how serious and nasty tests can be, I'd say it's about right.

> >He hasn't even got any followers?
>
> Maybe, maybe not. But in my (admittedly limited)
> experience
> Followers are to close to "faceless extras" to be
> likely candidates for "best friend".

Ah: our sidekicks tend to get good dialogue and quite good billing. Anything but faceless. The retainers I'd agree with you.

> Since a Humakti Initiate has to Sever his
> relationship to his kin and
> I rather doubt that Humakt encourages much contact
> with them -
> certainly not a strong Relationship - family are
> unlikely to be an
> issue for many Humakti seeking to be Devotees

I'd agree: others on this list seem to be working on the assumption that the default Humakti PC has resheathed and is actually living in their original clan.

> "At Sartar's Temple they [Salinargg's children]
> invoked the aid of
> Humakt to gain heroic powers in trade for terrible
> geas and taboos.
> Others inspired by the moving ceremony did likewise
> and they formed
> the Household of Death"
>
> Compare with Storm Tribe "Devotees must take at
> least one gift and one geas"
> A Disciple "...must have at least three gifts"

The devotee is taking an extra gift/geas in addition to their initiation one making a total of two, but yes, point made. I've always felt the Disciple should have *all* geases, myself.

> And just to show just how unusual this is, the son
> Harsaltar was
> eight. Too young to even be initiated in "normal"
> Heortling society.

Jareel was ridiculously young when she invaded Boldhome, too. It was a children's battle

> A ten-year old nearly beating the
> Red Emperor is somewhat remarkable even if the Red
> Emperor has a
> rather poor record in personal combat (for a
> demigod).

Ever tried facing a ten-year-old in a fencing contest (shudder)? They're such a small target they're very hard to hit. But yes, a very unusual kid.

> Well I wouldn't suggest that he'd kill without a
> reason that seemed
> good to HIM, but since one of the other two randomly
> killed women and
> children and the last killed everyone in three towns
> for being afraid
> of him it isn't always going to be a reason that can
> be appreciated by non-Humakti.

All too true! But if Humakt demands death, for his reasons.. well, you just don't have a choice, do you? Serious Humakti really are like that.

Jane Williams

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo! Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk