Humakti Devotion

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:21:19 +0000

Paul K said
>A Humakti Devotion probably ought to involve A death

Very likely (Hmm, think back to Viturian Barosh - would you want to be forced to partake in a Humakti worship ceremony....)

I don't think anyone can become a Devotee of Humakt unless they have already killed someone

Which gets me thinking. Humakti sever their ties to their kin in order to protect them from the consequences of their actions (If Fred Orlanthi kills someone then his family are expected to pay the weregild. If Harry Humakti does it then he 'has no family') What is the status of a Humakti initiand who kills before completing the severance (and mythologically speaking, Humakt did)? Could a murderer join Humakt as a way to avoid the (social/legal) consequences of their crime?

Paul also asks
>but if you include too much death what do you do if someone
>wants to be a Disciple ?

I'm not sure a character ever "wants" to become a disciple (Although a player might). I think becoming a disciple is probably some sort of epiphany when you suddenly realise that you are (almost) an avatar of the God, rather than some sort of ritual that you choose to undertake. (In fact it may not be possible to deliberately become a disciple, since your own wishes and desires are preventing you from fully realising the deity). In the case of Humakt, then, one may become a disciple when your "honour" demands the death of a close friend, or an unresisting innocent, and you carry out the deed without a qualm. (On the other hand, unrestrained slaughter of prisoners might be opening the way for a god like Gargarath or Urain)

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| Curiosity killed the cat - Why? What did it want to know?               |