Re: Humakti Devotion

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 16:34:07 -0000

> As yet I don't know of any where he was trying to get
> away from the consequences of past actions, though.
> Must be time to write one :)

Fair warning: I seem to be stuck in a very conservative rut at the moment.

Severing yourself from your past actions is realy cutting away part of your own identity. I'm not sure this jives with my understanding of Humakti philosophy. Death seperates us from the mortal concerns of the mundane world, and essentialy reduces us to our essential nature, but our actions in life are still part of that. We still must suffer the consequences of those actions as determined by the Judge of the Dead (of whatever appropriate religion). We are feed from our obligations and loyalties on the mundane world, and so humakti severing kin relationships are simply undergoing part of the process that takes place on death, but even the dead carry the burden of their own actions in life. Therefore how can humakti escape them using the power of death? They may be able to attone for them in some way, but I think that's a seperate issue.

Simon Hibbs