Esrolia

From: simonbrayuk_at_...
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:35:25 EST

In a message dated 27/11/03 10:00:56 GMT Standard Time, HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

> Well, I think the _major_ rivers are actually relatively unnavigable.

 Where do you get that impression from? I can find nothing and was informed of nothing to suggest this during my development of the Esrolia background. River trade exists, boats are common and well used.

 As for milling, I still imagine household quirns are heavily in use, as are animal or human driven mills. The same applies for olive presses.

 While Esrolia is heavily dedicated to agriculture it is highly unlikely that they would have felled every tree, fields and boundaries would be formed by trees. These would also grow along rivers. Between settlements their are 'wild' lands with scrub, copses and woodlands. So I don't thing wood is scarce. This is farming and agricutlure in co-operation with the land goddesses (including the wild ones) not the modern day process of farming against nature that occurs in most western countries. However brick, adobe, wattle and daub and other similar construction techniques are common.

Cheers Simon Bray

The Unspoken Word, the Magazine for Gloranthans and Heroes of every kind. http://www.celtic-webs.com/theunspokenword/