Re: Re: Thunder During Snow?

From: Julian Lord <jlord_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 20:24:06 +0100

Ian :

> - Snow clouds are often big, black and shut out the light. You get
> the kind of night during day experience as the sun is hidden from
> view (I have seen snow in sunnier weather but the darkness is more
> mythically resonant for Glorantha anyway).

Well, that's what they tend to be like in England, anyway ...

More often, the snow clouds I've experienced have tended to resemble high-flying fog, sometimes touching the ground though. This is alpine snow, btw. Any scots following the thread, to give us their experience of snow clouds in the Highlands ? Might be of help to illustrate winter in Sartar ...

> - Walking on snow is tiring. your feet sink and you need to push
> agains the compacting snow. But walking in snow is worse - think of
> it like walking in water. You can't punch through it very easily -
> it just compacts against you so you have to keep lifting you feet
> our of the snow, putting them back down into it etc. That is why you
> have snowshoes or skis, to keep you on top of the snow.

Yeah ...

There's a trick to it though, and the locals will always be better snow walkers that any idiot lowland furriner ...

> - A pristine snow fall seems magical and somebody's first snowfall
> is a wonder to behold. However the magic soon wears off...

... especially if you're in England ...

In a good year, for instance, the snow magic can last for about 3 to 5 days, depending where you live (I once lived 300 yards away from the Eiffel tower in a good snow year, and my two daily walks to and from the M�tro over the Champs de Mars were a true source of joy, for about a week).

I think that the closer to the Equator you are (in Glorantha, the further south),
the more magical the snow will be ...

Julian

--
"Hmmm, I've heard of other powers.