Re: Fatal rain

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:31:59 -0000

Actually, wool keeps most of its insulating properties when wet, which is why woolen mittens and socks were so popular (and I can attest that a double layer of wool mitts, even when matted with snow and half frozen, still work reasonably well). And of course, wool comes from Heler's sheep. Some furs still work fairly well when wet I think, but I know less about those.

It is other cloth, which for heortlings pretty much means linen and maybe occasional imported cotton, that becomes useless when wet. Which basically just supports the typical heortling view that nothing beats a good wool cloak, etc.

Mystically, water did attack earth more than once, so no doubt on some occasion it stole the magic from the flax goddess (I forget her name). And cloth imported from away? Feeble stuff all of it compared to wool.

Or maybe more, focus on how loyal Heler always opposed the Vadrudi/Valindings, wet or dry, even when others were wounded and gave up the battle.

-Bryan