Re: Fatal rain

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 21:27:25 -0000

Quite right. I swear by my parka with its wolf-fur trimming. Nothing like it for keeping that little puddle of still, warm air around your face when its -40. But if it gets wet, most animal furs tend to matt as they are not as oiled as they would be on a live critter.

And even live critters seek shelter - even the water-loving otters and beavers tend to stay out of the bonechilling cold snaps (eg, they stay in the water or in their dens).

> It is other cloth, which for heortlings pretty much means linen and
> maybe occasional imported cotton, that becomes useless when wet.
> Which basically just supports the typical heortling view that
nothing
> beats a good wool cloak, etc.

Linen, when wet, its a terrible insulator. Cotton as well.

I'll stick to my good, Mostali constructed gortex.

Jeff