Re: More winter

From: James Frusetta <gerakkag_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:51:03 -0500 (EST)

> Oh yes, we were warned as kids not to stick our tongues on metal surfaces in
> winter but we do it anyway. It hurts like hell when you rip them off.

That takes me back: in elementary school, all the students that were bussed in had to watch a required film on "the dangers of subzero temperatures." Since it often hit -20 in the winter, and I remember -40 a couple of times, the worry was that some little tyke would freeze to death waiting for a delayed school bus.

In any case, the *best* winter horror of the film was about the man (I believe an oil field worker) who supposedly froze a hand solid, and managed to *shatter it* by trying to heat it over some superheated steam. Naturally, in a room full of 8-year-olds, we all said, "Wow! Awesome!"

I don't know if that can actually *happen*, but it'd be a great story element... "Hey, Hrulf, come and warm up by the fire!" "Gee, thanks -- snap, crackle, argh, argh! <splat>" Good and icky.

James