Re: Fimbulwinter Tales

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 13:53:35 -0000

joe wrote:
> It did say "sometimes".

Indeed - average winter temperatures are freezing (0 C). The -30 figure is for those really cold days in Dark Season (and by extension there may be more kindly days in Storm season).

> I think these days in non-Fimbulwinter are the cattle-killing
winters which figured in KoDP now and then.< I think of them as those nasty cold-snaps that last 2-3 days before seasonal temperatures return whe the darkness really bites, so yes. Of course YGMV. Using TR's weather info can help here - especially when you want to know weather for a story instead of climate for background.

> I think we can remain with the image of Switzerland occasionally
plagued by Hollri...<
Not a bad approximation. I tried to baseline on some real-world data, and adjust for what we knew from previous sources. Greg then adjusted it for his feel of the numbers. I don't really want to get into exactly where my baseline numbers came from for fear of everyone saying 'DP is X' when that's not true, but this is about the right feel.