Re: Esrolian Vinga

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 10:45:11 +1100

>Simon

> > I must admit my view of the
>Esrolian Vinga is much more Earth orientated than the Orlanthi mainstream
>goddess, though in MY Esrolia I agree that Erantha Gor would be in my
>Esrolian
>armies.

I think much of the 'adventuress' Vinga is fairly recent historically, in large part a product of the Lunar invasion, and that a good part of it derives from the Pavis Exiles and the Kheldon exiles in particular. Storm Tribe and Tales #20 give a picture of a cult that adapts to historical need and circumstance - which is what you'd expect from a Goddess renowned for her 'lateral thinking'.

So while the Heortlings emphasise the Storm Aspect, even in Sartar her rune is an Earth rune. Certain traditions, such as the Stead Daughter tradition described in Tales #20, seem to implicitly emphasise a more 'Earthy' aspect.

So I'd expect the Esrolian Vinga to be primarily a daughter of the Earth, and her Laughing Daughter/hearthguard cult to be well adapted to Esrolian reality. The 'Vinga Comes to Stormstead' myth could, with just a slight change of emphasis, be a tale of an Earth Warrior beating and besting the Storm boys at their own game. And being honoured by adoption.

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/