Ernaldan Heros?

From: Steve Rennell <steve_at_...>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 09:11:58 +1300

Hi All,

I've finally managed to get a bunch of friends to scrape up some time from their busy schedules to play in a HQ game.

The general gist of the game idea I have is for the characters to be part of a clan heading for Dragon Pass in 1330ish, with all the attendant negotiating and stuff (yes, KoDP is an inspiration here), with the characters as the "just below weapon-thane level" - the promising youngsters.

Of course, nothing ever survives contact with the players...

One player who's long been curious about playing an Ernaldan has pointed out that this scenario might actually work with an Ernaldan PC. The proposed character would be about 40, with some grown up children and an absentee (ex) husband (there's some suggestion that he became a Wind Lord, and still shows up every once in a while, but is essentially not very helpful unless you have darkness creatures to drive off...). The character will be very involved in choosing the land in Dragon Pass, in knowing the rituals, negotiating marriages, finding the right places to build a stead, and using her influence on the bloodline/clan to get them to do the right thing (Ernalda's Belittling Words is a neat idea, but I think there should be a positive alternative, like "inspirational words"). The player has read a few sagas, including Njall's saga, and I think the idea of being one of the steadwives who guides the family, and makes them survive, is quite attractive.

Occasionally, the character will send the kids off on a mission that is mostly unsubtle adventuring ("there there children, run off and play") at which point the player will play one of the children characters.

I think the character sounds interesting, and the planned campaign is one of the few ways it would work, but I'm not sure how to create the character. Using the HQ rules, combined with some HW source books (Storm tribe and Thunder rebels) the cult side of things seems reasonably easy, but for the "Occupation" nothing seems appropriate.

My question is has anyone created an appropriate occupation for someone who may be the female head of a stead, or does anyone have suggestions for how to deal with it. It's possible that she will have had a few different occupations, and I'm still thinking about that.

Suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Stephen

--
Stephen Rennell                steve_at_...
Wellington,   New Zealand