The Other Old One (KL vs AA)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:48:38 +0000

One of the suggestions in the thread discussing Dread Domains campaign was that the Argan Argar cult might be seeking to bring about the return/rebirth of the Only Old One - Argan Argar's Son who ruled the Kingdom of Night, and/or the birth/creation of a new Old One (the "Other Old One"?) who can rule Dagori Inkarth in the same way that the OOO ruled Kethaela.

>2. Bring back the OOO - for which a big bad lightbringer quest might
>be just the job. And which would explain perhaps why the AA faction
>would be looking for human help - I'm not aware of any successful
>lightbringer quests by trolls.

A Troll Lightbringer Quest does seem to be a bit of a contradiction in terms

>Hey, hey, hey -- let's stop hauling the Lightbringer's Quest out
>every time someone wants to upset the mythic order of things and
>return some long-dead hero from whatever afterlife he, she, or
>it has ended up in.

Well, if the Characters are Heortlings, then, naturally they will think/turn to the Lightbringer's Quest when they decide to bring back some dead hero. In this case we are looking at returning a murdered Ruler in order to end the Darkness, so we can certainly draw some parallels.

Now if the Characters are Lunars then they have their own methods of returning divinities to rule empires...

>but then why would the AA faction want to get a bunch of hoomans
>involved?

Argan Argar (or Argar Argan ;)) has Human worshippers as well as Uz, and the Kingdom of Night included Humans as well as Trolls. Maybe they are looking not only to install a new ruler in Dagori Inkarth, but to expand their influence into some of the surrounding parts of Dragon Pass...

>Hmmm, I always had the impression that the LB quest brought back
>someone who had a fire connection somehow?

I'm not aware of a Fire Connection for Arkat, Talor or Sheng - Maybe discussion of such belongs on the Digest?

>[The Uz] may not have a really clear idea of [Arkat's] origins, or
>consider that he "began" with his rebirth as an Uz.

I'd agree with this hypothesis. I don't think the Uz particularly consider Harmast's Quest as being an important part of Arkat's life.

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_...                      |
| Facts! They demanded facts from him, as if facts could explain anything!|