Re: Far Place peoples in Prax?

From: John Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:33:01 +1100

Hi Pedro:

>John's synopsis of Yelmalians across Genertela got me thinking of the
>Far Placers in Pavis County and how they have come to live in a very
>different land. I have read most of what resides at Questlines. Is
>there any other source for these people? If not, I'd love to hear
>what ideas are floating around out there.

Ian Thomson & Friends' monumental Pavis Project has a 'Pavis County' volume due any day now, which includes a long survey article on the Orlanthi immigrants to Pavis County and the ways they have adapted to the new environment. See

http://www.pavis.nzrpga.org.nz/pbrvol5.html

for details.

>Finding no other sources for the Kiertanni, I put together an
>abridged outline of their history and traditions.

There are none. They're yours! :) Note that most of the recent Questlines detail is based on my campaigns, and so is unofficial, and may be contradicted by future releases. My own thinking about the Yelmalio background is growing more textured. Take what's useful for your own story.

>Heirssoflin Hornblower is the chieftain of the Kiertanii.... Soon
>afterwards he
>made his first major decision and, for the first time in nearly 50
>years, blew the Engoli Horn and established a clan ring in an attempt
>to bring new families to the thinning Kiertanni bloodline.

My only suggestion is that the numbers will be very small, spread over a few struggling steads. So Heirssoflin's quest is a noble but perhaps impossible one. It's likely they are a self-contained bloodline, and may have adopted the customs of the other Orlanthi immigrants to Pavis and other parts of Prax (which are described in the Pavis County article). Dorasor the Founder united two mighty traditions when he founded New Pavis, creating a genuine third way that balanced Heortling traditions with the ancient laws of the Real City. it seems that most Orlanthi settlers have adopted these traditions.

More generally, I suspect that there are a surprising number of clanless bloodlines even in Sartar. Extended families, for the most part in isolated steads, that belong to no clan and have only fragile connections to towns or tribes. I'd guestimate that such could account for perhaps 5% of the total population.

> >However, there are several important
>rituals that are unique to the Kiertanii, such as the Brightwind
>Ritual and the Defender's Lament.

Very nice! Your bloodline sage has the makings of a real epic.

John

John Hughes
Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research Australian National University
Canberra ACT 2600

Phone (02) 6125 0649
Visit CAEPR on the web at http://www.anu.edu.au/caepr/