Re: Danfive Xaron (AA vs KL)

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:01:34 +0000

>Paul King
>
>>Me>No, Danfive Xaron took the part not because he was a Penitent
>> >Criminal but because he was a bloodthirsty criminal seeking
>> >ultimate power. The experience (i.e. 'partial success') changed
>> >him and he _became_ a Penitent Criminal.
>
>>That's not quite how I pictured his involvement. Especially given
>>his depiction "... hunched into a position of submission, wearing
>>chains and shackles"
>
>Which is the end result of the Heroquest. The Glorantha: Intro
>p102 following the Tales writeup says "He joined the Conspiracy of
>the Seven Mothers and through his partial success became
>truely contrite". Given that the Redline Histories states about
>the Seven Mothers motivations that "Other hints indicate that
>political expediency and a simple lust for power motivated at
>least two of the conspirators", Danfive as contrite before the
>Heroquest doesn't sound right in light of the Goddess's nature
>as an agent of transformation.

On the other hand, his faking contrition would be in line with the text. And there isn't exactly a shortage of candidates for a "lust for power".

> >But maybe the other four (?) Mothers were willing to take the risk
>>that Danfive Xaron might succeed, although I would have thought that
>>Deezola at least would have had serious misgivings.
>
>Given that the Deezola was out to unleash the worst curse on the
>Empire that had deprived her of her lands (that the Goddess was
>a Great Blessing for Everyone was an unexpected "side-effect"), I
>don't think she would have been all that worried about having a
>bloodthirsty murderer in on the plot.

It's not so much including him in the plot, it's that success gives him "ultimate power". Giving that to a bloodthirsty outlaw is going a bit far.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.