Re: Rules Question

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 09:50:04 +0000

>Please excuse me. I am new to HQ and I am trying to learn enough of
>the game that I can narrate for the group I play with.

First off, might be worth looking at the Heroquest-rules list (also on Yahoo groups). Rules questions are generally best asked over there.

>If a player (Humakti) says I want to 'Decapitate Foe' (Death
>Affinity) and scores a complete victory (through bumps, good dice or
>sheer mastery!) as a narrator do we assume the foe is decapitated if
>the AP's are not reduced to zero let alone -30 or more. And if
>allowed, what happens when fighting a major 'baddie'?

As a narrator you have two ways to handle Decapitate Foe in an extended contest. Require an AP bid that *would* reduce the foe to below -30 AP, or treat it as an unrelated action, handle as a simple contest, and require a complete defeat. Anything less means that the magic was not completely successful, and the opponent is still alive.

Also worth thinking about what abilities you'd allow to resist. I'd allow either best magical ability (the magic fails) or close combat (the killing sword stroke was parried).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Graham

--