Gbaji lies! (Was Re: Illuminated Uroxi?)

From: jorganos <joe_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:16:56 -0000

Chris:

Peter:

>>> The last statement is wrong.  The Bat is Illuminated by the Red
>>> Goddess and anything that it devours, animal, plant and mineral,
>>> is utterly Illuminated (Glorantha: Intro p125).  People have
>>> difficulty in accepting this but it's true.

Joerg:
>> On a practical level, this isn't very helpful to those it has devoured...

Chris
> And this is according to *Lunar* doctrine. The Red Goddess is the
> goddess of Illusion. Who says that she isn't even decieving herself?

Illusion in Glorantha is not deception, but a temporal change in reality. If there were cameras in Glorantha, then an optical illusion could be photographed, an acoustic illusion audiotaped, etc. You can walk over the material illusion of a bridge, and an illusionary army sure can kill you as quickly as a regiment of Char-un, and as permanently.

I'm not certain whether there are illusionary holes to make doors or dig graves quickly. Eurmal probably offers just this somewhere...

> One of the things I think the GM needs to do is decide, in his game,
> who is *objectively* right, and move from there.

A couple of years ago I explained the inability of spirits/agents of reprisal to home in on an illuminate with the absence of guilt as their beacon, meaning that it is the subjective decision of the cultist whether to accept something as pertinent or not.

> Obviously, if the Lunar view is correct, then this is a wonderful
> opprtunity to move beyond Storm Bull's fear of Chaos and Heal
> The World.

IMO the Storm Bull simply hates Chaos as a rival. And rivalry is something not even her Redness is beyond, just like existential struggle...

> If the Orlanthi view is right, then it looks like Gbaji aka
> Trickster just handed the poor Uroxi a big load of manure.

Gbaji is not the Trickster. It is the Deceiver, a difference. Tricks have the tendency to be recognized, at least they are in the many myths by Peter Michaels on Mything Links. Gbaji's deception was somewhat stronger...

> I was always kind of under the impression, however, that the Lunars
> were another Big Mistaken Empire. Like the Bright Empire, the God
> Learners and the EWF before it, they will get too big and arrogant,
> and be brought down. They try to use cosmic truths for political
> gain, and *kaboom!*

Like the EWF, the founders knew the Lunar Empire to be a temporary state of consciousness. Sheng forcing Takenegi to be incomplete masks may have upset the schedule - who believes in an eighth Wane?